Sunday, March 21, 2010

Article Nine

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/19/voice.recognition/index.html

This article discusses voice recognition technology in use for every day items. Specifically, it talks about the capability of cell phones to take in what someone is saying and convert it into text messaging form. If this were to be implemented in cell phones, the article discusses the many practical uses that could follow. The main idea talked about is for use in the car. It has been proposed that through voice recognition technology and the car's audio it could decipher a text, say it through the speakers, and allow the user to voice back what they want to say. There are already some applications for the Iphone that do this, but the the author of the article notes they are very choppy and often convert things wrong. There is currently a serious push to get more funding to create a better system.

I've had an opportunity to use this technology but on the computer. My dad's company had paid the outrageous price and let him use it at home. On a base level, it was very entertaining. I attempted to use it to write a paper for school, and the thought of not having to type up a whole lengthy paper sounded great in my head. However, the actual functionality of the device was much different. It misunderstood nearly a quarter of the words I said and sometimes did not even write the words I was saying. Also, it was not really able to delete things I said and wanted to change. I ended up becoming so frustrated with the process that I quit using it. I had to scrap what I hardly wrote and start fresh. Looking back, I realize that I misused the technology and now realize that it should only be used for quick, simple things. And what is quicker than a text?

I think it'd be really great if researchers could get this to work out well. More and more in our society, people are getting into car accidents as a result of looking down at a text. This would severely decrease those accident numbers and make every thing safer. This would also just make sending a text better and easier. I personally as I've stated a few times now hate text messaging. If i get into a text conversation my fingers tend to strain and hurt. This would obviously cease if I were able to just state out loud what I want to say, then have it go. I would use it all the time and I'm sure many other people would as well.

the article posted here http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14514306 discusses the advancement of the voice recognition software. He explains that essentially they are in a place to make the software almost error free soon. Although it is much better than before, it is still not perfect. He notes that he sent his wife what was supposed to be "How's it going hun" but it was sent as "acetone hon". There's clearly room to improve for this technology, but it's great where it can lead. I'm sure in the not so distant future everyone will be using Voice recognition for all their basic needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment