Saturday, February 6, 2010

Article Four

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2010-02-04-baig04_ST_N.htm

This article is discusses the functionality and content of 3-d laptops being developed by Asus and Acer. The writer had the opportunity to use these computers for basic functions as well as playing the video game Avatar based on recent movie by James Cameron. He goes into good details about how the 3-D is noticeable, however is not great yet. He feels this product is definitely suited for gamers who are looking for an experience that's never been created. He goes on to say that although the technology is indeed impressive, there probably is not a high demand in main street market yet. The last of the article discusses the specs of the laptop such as RAM and hard drive space.

I think it's incredible we are coming to a point in society where 3-D will be a mainstay in the home. I remember being a kid with the plastic multicolored glasses thinking it was coolest experience of my life. Now, 3-D is almost a common place with movies. Anyone can see that the latest movies, Avatar and Michael Jackson's This is it to name a couple, are offered in 3-D. I know for a almost certain fact sooner than later nearly every movie will have a 3-D component.

I would absolutely love to get my hands on this laptop and try the aspect of video gaming. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to play all my favorite games in 3-D. However, I get the sneaking suspicion that the 3-D craze will overstay it's welcome and fast. I'm a huge sports fan. My t.v. is almost exclusively on ESPN or ESPN2. When I saw that ESPN would be broadcasting games in 3-D, I cringed. Does anyone truly want to watch a game like that? I can only imagine how big of a distraction that would be. Before we know it, all the major stations will be offering a 3-D service. We'll be watching 24 and Lost with glasses on our eyes. Ultimately, 3-D will become a over hyped fad instead of the awesome experience it should be.

A British article posted here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/28/review_laptop_asus_g51_j_3d_notebook/ is testing the same laptop from the above article. They also pretty much agree that although it is impressive, there are some things that hurt the laptop's chances to sell. They state the specs are not much different to similar laptops coming out today. For the price these will sell for, around $3000 American, they clearly expected top of the line hard drive space and RAM. Also, like the above author, they feel as though people aren't ready in society for this 3-D gaming experience. This will definitely sell, but not in the quantity a company like Asus would want.

I can only hope the price goes does significantly so I can try it out. I would love to get 3-D computing a whirl, but for $3000 I will sit on the sidelines and hope my friends buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment